The mission of the Ethics Group is to improve patient care and the health of the public by examining and promoting physician professionalism.
The Ethics group is organized into three parts:
- Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs
- Ethics Resource Center
- Institute for Ethics
An important division of the AMA, the Ethics Group works to improve patient care and the health of the public by examining and promoting physician professionalism.The AMA Ethics Group is responsible for helping establish ethical policies, developing educational programs and pursuing scholarly research of ethical issues in medicine that practicing physicians are likely to encounter in their training and daily practice.
Features the AMA Code of Medical Ethics with current opinions.
- Virtual Mentor, an interactive, Web-based forum for analysis and discussion of ethical and professional issues that medical students, residents and young physicians encounter during their educational training
- The Ethical Force Program, a collaborative effort to develop health care system-wide performance measures for ethics.
- iSTEP-Innovative Strategies for Transforming the Education of Physicians, a research collaborative of 27 medical schools engaged in medical education research that transforms the learning of physicians in ways that result in improved patient care.
- and the Declaration of Professional Responsibility, an oath by which 21st century physicians can publicly uphold and celebrate the ideals that inspired them to enter medicine.